Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Question about separating notes on a instrument.?

Well the question and the topic is a little difficult to describe so i'll do my best.





Ok, I play the trombone, I have for about 10 years. I never really payed attention to how I separate my notes, everyone always told my ';tongue'; do this do that. Recently I was wondering about it, because I found that I don't really ';tongue'; .... I started to pay a lot more attention to it, and i realized I never use my tongue.





No one has ever said anything about my sound, or anything, people have told me I have a really good sound, and that I play fairly well. By no means am I really good or anything, but i've made jazz all state etc.





I tried looking it up but i can not find anything. The only good way i've found for describing what I do is this:


If anyone whistles; when you whistle how do you separate your notes? ... Yeah thats how I do it on the trombone, or any instrument i play.


It is kind of like I separate the note with my diaphragm or throat? basically by just stopping my air flow and restarting it.


This doesn't cause me any trouble, I am just merely curious as to what I am doing.





Now mind you, I can separate the notes just as fast if not faster then someone double tonguing, I can play staccato legato etc.








My main question here is, does anyone know exactly what I am doing? Is it a really bad habit? And do you know anyone else who does this?Question about separating notes on a instrument.?
You want to make a tuh-tuh type of sound with your tongue and make sure that your tongue hits the back of you front teeth.








Your present way of tonguing is not bad if it sounds alright but you will sound better if you use your tongue.Question about separating notes on a instrument.?
I used to play the recorder that way, before I learned about tonguing.


The term you are looking for is ';glottal attack.';


In the word ';uh-oh,'; the first syllable starts with a glottal attack and ends with a glottal stop.


The second syllable also begins with a glottal attack but doesn't end with a glottal stop.





Are you from the United States?


If you are, then you are familiar with thewords ';uh-huh,'; which means yes, and ';uh-uh,'; which means no.


Those words also have glottal attacks and glottal stops.
With a trombone you don't actually stop with your tongue but breathe in. quickly just enough to stop the air from going through the horn. i have to do the same thing because i play the flute. but u kind of have to train yourself to use ur tongue if you are do something like 8th notes. u just have to play with it until u feel comfortable with it.
  • What are the pros and cons of hosting the Olympics in a city
  • new hair styles
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment